Sunday, August 24, 2014

Curriculum Plans for 2014-2015


 
KingMan is officially a high schooler.  It seems like just yesterday I was nursing him in my arms.  Now he is taller, bigger and stronger than I.  Where does the time go?  Amazingly enough, KingMan has never been to school.  When we first started this journey, I had intended to homeschool through middle school and then he would go off to high school.  But in the words of the African American Spiritual, "Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me 'Round."  So much has evolved since I started homeschooling more than 10 years ago.  The sky is the limit for homeschoolers and there is no need to get into a box after living and schooling so many years outside of it.  KingMan will begin the process of studying for his first CLEP exam this year, a process by which he can earn college credits and high school credits at the same time.  The only downside to not attending a brick and mortar high school for KingMan is sports.  He is a gifted athlete and has been playing competitively for years.  His sports of choice are baseball and, his first love, basketball.  But in the words of his Auntie Renee, "If our babies want to go to the moon, then Mama will just have to give NASA a call."  We had a good laugh about that, but it's true.  Homeschooling teaches you to go after your dreams and let nothing stand in your way. We'll find a way to make sports happen!

2014-2015 Plans for KingMan

Cooperative Learning


Cooperative learning with other homeschoolers has been a central part of our learning and it's a part of our culture.  On Fridays, KingMan will participate with the Sankofa Homeschool Collective.  He'll take classes in African History, Speech Communications, African and African-American Art and Poetry.  He doesn't "love" to write, so being in a class with other highly motivated peers will be just the nudge he needs.  He will also participate in the Cheverly STEM program.  This will be KingMan's second year of Coding and Engineering. He'll also take Cell Biology, Chemistry, Yoga, and Newspaper -- resulting in the publication of a homeschool newspaper.  I have a journalism background, so I'm excited to help out with this endeavor.

Writing


I learned of the Aya Education Institute at the Liberated Minds Homeschool Expo.  It's a full middle school and high school program delivered via a live, web-conference platform where students and instructors can see each other real-time and interact real-time.  KingMan will learn with African people from all over the world.  I plan on enrolling him in the Sankofa Word class, which will include writing essays, storytelling, reports, reflections, speeches and digital media presentations.

 Grammar


This year KingMan will participate in a homeschool newspaper class, so we are switching up from Rod and Staff, the solid grammar program we have used for years, to give Editor-in-Chief a try.  It's a software-based grammar program that teaches through editing.  There is a book format as well.  We are also incorporating Afrikan Centered Grammar from Kamali Academy.  Though it's geared toward middle grades, we're using it for review and for the historical nuggets that are buried in the grammar.

Math


After many years devoted to Singapore Math, we are moving in a different direction.  Teaching or should I say learning Singapore Math alongside my son has been a most rewarding experience.  When I was in 5th grade, I thought math and science were for boys.  I wonder if I would have pursued a career in STEM had I learned math in that way.  For Algebra, we are using Video Text Interactive.  I still plan to learn alongside my son, but the interactive Video Text will be doing the teaching.  Because of his interest in Engineering and my lack of background in mathematics, I don't want to slow him down. I also just discovered Afrikan-Centered Algebra from Nkala Education Services.  I have not seen the full text, but the website says it includes practical mathematics for real-world applications, ancient Afrikan problem solving techniques, instructions in English and Akan/Twi, and problem-based learning from real engineering challenges.  Sounds exciting! The Algebra I text is not yet available.  KingMan is also blessed to have one of the most passionate math teachers I have ever encountered.  Mama Lifoma makes math come alive.  During our homeschool co-ops, I have seen with my own eyes children who were willing to skip lunch to continue working on a math problem.  Stay tuned for a full blog post dedicated to this gifted educator.

Foreign Language


Despite my desire for KingMan to explore Swahili, Amharic, or any indigenous African langague, KingMan wants to tackle Spanish.  I have a background in Spanish, so I can help him.  We'll just dust off our Rosetta Stone for language study this year. 

Vocabulary and Spelling


We will continue to use Vocabulary from Latin Roots and Vocabulary Cartoons to continue building vocabulary and comprehension.  We'll finish up the Spelling Workout series, which KingMan really loved.

History


I am very grateful that KingMan has been a part of not only learning history, but reliving history through his participation with Mass Emphasis Children's History and Theatre Company.  He has been taking history classes with Baba Obi for the past three years.  I love how history is taught based upon where African people find themselves in the world and the relationship to that particular place.  For example, when he learns American History, he doesn't just a bunch of random facts that he'll soon forget, instead he learns what was happening in the African Diaspora during that particular time in history.  We also plan to use the text Journey of Liberation developed by Dr. Molefi Asante, for the required examination of American History.

Art and Music


I give art as much weight as math in our homeschool.  It's not an extra.  It is a worthy expression.  I am blessed that he will be learning and creating African and African-American as a part of our homeschool collective. KingMan will continue to grow and learn with the Farafina Kan family where he studies African drum with Baba Mahiri who has poured not just the skill of drumming but a love of culture into my son.  I am so proud of his most recent performance at the 10th Anniversary Celebration of Farafina Kan.  You can see KingMan's solo here.  He'll also continue with piano at Levine School of Music where he also studies piano.  Here is KingMan in a master class performance

Physical Education

I am so happy that KingMan will participate in a regular yoga class through a homeschool cooperative.  I believe yoga is so important for athletes to help protect against injury.  Team participation in basketball and indoor soccer will keep KingMan busy.  We are still searching for a baseball team.



2014-2015 Plans for LionHeart


The Sun smiled on me the day LionHeart was born.  Our educational journey has made me re-think everything I thought I knew.  KingMan marveled at me one day when we were in the middle of our homeschool lessons. He said, "Mom, I think it's really cool how you can switch up like that -- going from middle school teacher to elementary school teacher."  Keen observation! LionHeart is my right-brain learner.  What I had perceived as a resistance to learning was his way of articulating that what I was putting before him did not resonate.  When I discovered the website The Right Side of Normal, my whole attitude changed.  If my job, as the ancient Afrikan proverb says, is to "make my student shine like a star," well--bring in on!

Cooperative Learning


LionHeart will also participate with the Sankofa Homeschool Collective, where he'll take classes in Geography, Art and Jr. Lego League.  For science, he will continue in the tradition of his big brother through his participation in the Little Genius Science and Math Program, a STEM program designed to introduce our children to not just the field of science at an early age, but to actually see people of color working in the field.

Reading


In addition to working with our beloved tutor at Selah Educational Services, we'll use All About Reading at home, as well as the Seeing Stars program.

Spelling


All About Spelling is a program designed to work with children whose eyes would glaze over trying to memorize lists of words.  Instead, this program is designed to engage a child whose learning style requires the use of sight, sound and touch.  Click on this video to learn more.  All About Spelling is a wonderful mainstream spelling program, but is also used by parents whose children display symptoms of Dyslexia.  This is one of the best definitions I've seen of dyslexia.  Click here to read it.

Learning to Spell through Copywork is another resource that I will utilize.  I love simple programs, especially ones that can be adapted to be more culturally affirming and interactive.  I will definitely need to adapt the language to make more this program more culturally relevant and appealing to LionHeart.

Writing


I will continue to use the Primary Arts of Language: Writing program (PAL).  I wrote extensively about it in a previous blog post.  For more on that click here. This is a program that I can pair with folk tales and all kinds of African-American literature as the source material.  I will use the portion of  PAL curriculum that is focused on early grammar, story sequence analysis, and writing paragraphs. I will adapt it until LionHeart is ready for the Institute for Excellence in Writing's Student Writing Intensive Level A.


Grammar  



Language Lessons for Today is a simple, incremental program.  It is Charlotte Mason-based and has short, simple lessons that focus on English usage, punctuation, composition, oral language skills, letter writing, narration, picture study, copywork and dictation. LionHeart is a storyteller, so he’ll love this part of the program.  In addition to the picture study that is included, I plan to use DiscoveringAfrican American Art for Children (ComeLook With Me) as our source material.



Math 

We are delving into a extraordinary right brain math experience for LionHeart with a program called African Math.  It is a program that teaches the way the ancients computed math, quickly, mentally and at a very high level.  We'll do drills using Flash Anzan.  These math exercises will strengthen his mental imagery and appeal to his learning style.   I plan to do a full curriculum review of the African Math program later.  I will still incorporate Montessori Math to present math concepts and Singapore Math for practice.


History


Anthony Browder's Timeline


LionHeart is also a part of Mass Emphasis History and Theater Company.  He is learning history while performing; something he loves to do. In addition, I will pull together our history curriculum from a variety of resources to make it interactive and fun.  I will not use a text and the emphasis will be on OUR story.   In addition to reading lots of library books, I may use Lessons In History: A Celebration In Blackness by Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu as a a guide for topics to explore.  But we'll mostly read lots of biographies and picture books about our Heros and Sheroes, such as this book about Queen Nzingha, which can be purchased from Seeds Publishing.  There is so much history and geography in that story alone.  Approached in this way, history is never boring, but always a new and exciting story.  We'll probably also use a timeline as a way of visually organizing the information. Ideally, I'd love to have Anthony Browder's timeline, but I'll have to start saving now.  It is more of an investment in art and history.  In the meantime, we'll use art paper to create a timeline.  In this way, I can be selective about the history I present.  We will NOT start our history with slavery. 

Geography


Because we read so many library books about people from around the world, geography is a subject that we learn through living books.  I like Galloping the Globe, but it's a little too paper based to be my only source.  My off-the page learner needs something a little more tangible.  So we are going to give Little Passports a try.  It's similar to Montessori's Continent Boxes where you get real stuff from the country your child is learning about. I know LionHeart will be excited to get mail each month and I can only imagine the fun we'll have exploring the items and stamping his passport.  The package comes with a little suitcase and a map. We love map work!

Keyboarding


Now is the time to master typing, and not the one finger method.  We'll using Typing Instructor Kids Platinum.  He's already fascinated that mommy can type while looking away from the keyboard.  So he's motivated to learn how to do the same. 

Art


LionHeart loves to draw.  We will continue using Draw Write Now books, which combine art, handwriting, spelling, history and science.  This blog does the series better justice than the website so click here.  He will also be participating in an afterschool art program.

Music


LionHeart will be switching from violin to piano, like his big brother.  He will continue African drum instruction with the Farafina Kan family.  It's hard to believe that LionHeart already has 5 years of study under his belt.  African rhythms are a part of his soul now.  If he hears the drum anywhere, he responds.  It's amazing to see.  Click here to see a solo. I believe in my soul that studying music, specifically African drums enhances his learning.

Physical Education


LionHeart will continue instruction in Capoeira and tennis.  He will also play organized soccer and basketball.  New to the physical lineup - speedskating! After having so much fun with friends in iceskating summer camp, he wants to give it a whirl.  The only wrinkle - and it's a big one - is the start time.  He has to be on the ice by 6:30 a.m.  Ouch!





No comments:

Post a Comment